USDA has held six "listening sessions" on NAIS so far, and all of them have been dominated by individuals and organizations opposed to NAIS! The few pro-NAIS speakers have been almost entirely from a small handful of industrial agriculture organizations, in contrast to the wide range of farmers, homesteaders, horse owners, and consumers who have spoken against NAIS.
There are seven more sessions scheduled in the next month, in California, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, and South Dakota. These meetings are an important opportunity to make your voice heard! Come to the meeting nearest you, and bring all your friends and neighbors! If you can't come in person, USDA is accepting written comments both online and through the mail. Details on where, when, and how are all below.
For more information about NAIS:
|Take Action #1 - Go To A Meeting! |
Monday, June 1: Loveland, Colorado: The Ranch, Larimer County Fairgrounds and Events Complex, 5280 Arena Circle, Suite 100
Tuesday, June 9: Jefferson City, Missouri, location tbd
Thursday, June 11: Rapid City, South Dakota, location tbd
Tuesday. June 16: Albuquerque, New Mexico, location tbd
Thursday, June 18: Riverside, California, location tbd
Thursday, June 25: Raleigh, North Carolina, location tbd
Saturday, June 27: Jasper, Florida, location tbd
TIME: Registration starts at 8 am. The meeting is scheduled from 9 am - 4 pm, although several meetings have ended early.
1) Pre-register Online: Send an email to NAISSessions@aphis.usda.gov In the subject line of the e-mail, indicate your name and the location of the meeting you plan to attend. If you wish to present public comments, include your name and address in the body of the message.
2) Pre-register by Phone: call 301-734-0799
3) Register the day of the meeting, starting at 8 am at the meeting location
|Take Action #2: Submit Written Comments |
USDA is accepting written comments through the end of June (and possibly longer). You can use the sample comments posted at: http://farmandranchfreedom.
Submit comments ONLINE: http://www.regulations.gov/
The Federal Register site can be confusing and difficult. Here's what to do:
1) Click on the yellow balloon under the "add comments" column
2) Fill out the required fields and type in your comments. If your comments are more than a paragraph or so, we recommend that you first write them in a word document, and then copy & paste them into the comments field.
3) Click on "next step"
4) At the end of the process, you should receive a confirmation number.
or MAIL to:
Surveillance and Identification Programs
National Center for Animal Health Programs, VS, APHIS,
4700 River Road Unit 200
Riverdale, MD 20737